Extracting zipped game folders takes extremely long time?

Hey sorry if this is a stupid question, I am extremely new to Narrat and making games in general.

I have been messing around with a quick proof of concept project and I was testing distribution and noticed that it takes an unbelievably long time to extract the zipped folder created by “npm run package.” I have downloaded some other narrat games on itch and they too take an incredibly long time to extract (over half an hour).

Is this a problem on my end? Or is this just how it is?

how large is the zip folder, and what are you using to unzip it?

Generally the built in Windows compression seems to be pretty slow. If you are using the built-in Windows solution, you may want to try 7zip instead.

1 Like

Ah, that did it. 7zip extracts in a normal amount of time. Built-in windows extraction absolutely grinds to a halt when it hits all the fortawesome icons. I knew it was probably something simple–thanks!

1 Like

Yeah not much can be done about that, despite narrat not using many libraries, the way npm works creates lots of micro dependencies and lots of files.

The main offender is a json editor I’ve added to make the debug menu easier to see and edit variables, but annoyingly this json editor comes with an absurd amount of dependencies. But I don’t exactly want to spend time making a json editor from scratch just for debugging.

Not sure what font awesome is doing in there but it’s probably coming from that.

And yes, windows unzipping is absurdly slow, 7zip will extract your game at a more normal speed